Make Life Less Chaotic This Holiday Season with a TRP


Let’s face it, the holidays can be one of the most joyful and stressful times of the year. On the one hand, families get together; catch up on one another’s lives and for a few weeks focus on something else besides their work or school. On the other hand there is much planning that has to go into preparing for the holidays, including shopping, cooking, and most stressful of all, traveling.

For those families planning on traveling to Canada this holiday season, make life less chaotic by getting your Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) ready before you travel. What is a TRP? A Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) is like a hall pass for individuals who are inadmissible to Canada, for example people with a criminal record. Under Canadian law, a foreigner with a criminal record is allowed to enter Canada unless that individual has a conviction on his or her record and less than 10 years have passed since the completion of their sentence. So, if a family member has a DUI on their record that is less than 10 years old, or has multiple DUIs the only way he or she can travel to Canada is by applying for a TRP.  If your family member doesn’t have it before they reach the border or land at an airport the individual will be turned around and the holidays will become a lot more stressful.  Although it may be an awkward thing to discuss with family, it is better to discuss these types of issues than to make holiday plans that may get cancelled inadvertently.  If you already know a family member has a DUI or other offence on their record within the last ten years you should advise them to speak to someone, like a Canadian immigration attorney who can advise them on their options.  It’s always best to handle these things in advance as some of the paperwork can take time to put together. 

At FWCanada, we have handled hundreds of TRP applications, contact us today to find out if we can make sure you and your family members have a very happy holiday.