Criminal Equivalency

To determine whether you are admissible to Canada, you must consider Canadian laws. The only way to judge if you are indeed criminally inadmissible to Canada is to first translate your conviction into the language of Canadian law.

Does the offense on your record have a counterpart in Canada? If so, then there is a chance that you are inadmissible to Canada. This concept is known as equivalence.

Offenses like DUI and reckless driving can lead to criminal inadmissibility, as they are recognized as indictable offenses in Canada. For example, if you were convicted of a DUI charge within the past ten years, you would not be able to enter Canada.

Determining equivalence can be tricky and if the correct equivalence is not found you may falsely believe that you are admissible to Canada. This could lead to being turned around at the border unexpectedly.

Each month, FWCanada helps individuals with a number of different immigration concerns, including those who are criminally inadmissible, those seeking spousal sponsorship, or those seeking to become a temporary foreign worker. FWCanada’s lawyers can lend their expertise to anyone seeking a temporary resident permit, criminal rehabilitation, a Canadian work permit or work visa, a study permit, a visitor visa, foreign worker status, and permanent residence. For more information on our services and areas of expertise, contact us here!

FWCanada is a Montreal-based immigration law firm that provides professional legal services on Canadian immigration. For more tips and updates on Canadian immigration follow FWCanada on FacebookTwitter, and Linkedin.