Visiting Canada this Summer With a Criminal Record

Despite Canadian borders being open to fully vaccinated American tourists for the summer, criminally inadmissible visitors often wonder whether they can cross the border. Being adequately informed on the appropriate applications is crucial to ensure a smooth visit to Canada. The country accommodates entry for visitors with criminal records through the following pathways:

Temporary Resident Permit (TRP): A Temporary Resident Permit allows a visitor with a criminal record to be granted a temporary entry in Canada, as long as the benefits of their visit outweighs its risks. The outcome of such application will depend on the number, severity, and date of the conviction(s);

Criminal Rehabilitation (CR): A criminal rehabilitation offers a permanent solution to criminal inadmissibility. In order to apply, a visitor must ensure that five years have passed since their last sentence. If their application is successful, their criminal history will no longer prevent them from entering Canada, as long as it remains the same. The application fee varies depending on the severity of the crime(s) committed;

Deemed Rehabilitation: An individual is deemed rehabilitated by the passage of time when 10 years have passed since their last conviction with a non-serious crime. A legal opinion letter drafted by an immigration lawyer can help facilitate entry in such cases;

Legal Opinion Letters: A Canadian immigration lawyer can draft a legal opinion letter if they contend that an individual is admissible to Canada. A Legal Opinion Letter can strengthen a TRP or CR application.

FWCanada is a Montreal-based immigration law firm that provides professional legal services on Canadian immigration. For more tips and updates on Canadian immigration, follow FWCanada on Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin.