April Border Crossings in Manitoba and Alberta

There were several travellers turned away and articles seized at the Canadian/American border in Manitoba and Alberta last month.

 There were several travellers turned away and articles seized at the Canadian/American border in Manitoba and Alberta last month.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) is the group responsible for patrolling and regulating Canada’s international border with the United States. At almost 8,900 kilometres long (approx. 5,530 miles), it is the world’s longest international land border.

During April 2015, there were a series of travellers turned away at the border in the Canadian provinces of Manitoba and Alberta. The CBSA turned away dozens of people away in Manitoba including 31 alone at Emerson, Manitoba’s largest crossing. In Alberta, 76 people were refused entry.

Many of these travellers were turned away for criminal histories or failure to declare items. In addition to turning away travellers, the CBSA also made 13 seizures of suspected drugs, prohibited weapons and undervalued purchases in Manitoba.

In total, over the course of April, Manitoba processed 141,513 travellers via 59,000 cars and 25,000 commercial trucks.

In Alberta there were similar border activities. There were nine different vehicle seizures totalling $198,000 and this resulted in $63,000 in penalties.

Furthermore, there were 10 drug seizures in Coutts, of which 8 were marijuana related. In one specific instance, 128 grams of marijuana were found in the console of a vehicle and 283 grams of THC oil was found inside the vehicle and among the luggage of the travellers.

In Alberta, border officials processed 570 permanent resident landings, 45 work permits, and 2 study permits at Coutts and 418 permanent resident landings, 17 work permits, and 4 study permits at Carway.

Many of the travellers who were found inadmissible could have likely crossed if they had the correct permits. Criminal Rehabilitation is a permanent option to help people come into Canada if they have past criminal histories. However, processing times can be lengthy and the process complicated.

For more of a quick fix, temporary solution, individuals can also apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) which processes more quickly and helps people who are coming to Canada at a specific time for a specific reason.

It is important to acquire these permits if they apply to you because if not, you may be turned away. According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, the CBSA is committed to “protecting Canada’s security and prosperity.” Under Canada’s immigration laws, foreign nationals can be denied entry into Canada if they have committed a crime or had a criminal conviction.  

If you think you may require Criminal Rehabilitation or a TRP, are interested in permanent residence, or require a study or work permit, please fill out our free assessment form here.

FWCanada is a Montreal-based immigration law firm that provides professional legal services on Canadian immigration. For more tips and updates on Canadian immigration follow FWCanada on FacebookTwitter, and Linkedin.