Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)

If you are inadmissible to Canada, due to criminal, security or medical reasons, but have a justifiable reason to travel to Canada, you may be eligible for Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) Application. Note, the following information does not concern Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), commonly referred to as a Canadian Visitor Visa.

Applying for a Temporary Resident Permit allows you to suspend your criminal inadmissibility for a finite period of time.  In order to get a TRP, you must have compelling reasons for wanting to come to Canada. The benefits of your entrance and stay in Canada must prove to outweigh the safety and health risks to Canadian society. As an applicant, your TRP application must communicate a justifiably significant reason for your desired entrance with clarity and specificity. Some examples of good reasons for entering Canada, that would allow for higher chances of success with a TRP, are business conferences and networking events, meeting with Canadian clients or companies to start or continue economic relationships, or a very important family event such as a funeral or a wedding. 

TRPs have a maximum validity of three years. In issuing the permit, the Canadian immigration officer will consider your reason for travel and decide on your permit’s term of validity accordingly. As a Temporary Resident Permit holder, you:

  • Must comply with the conditions imposed on your TRP;
  • Must not work or study without a work or study permit;
  • Cannot re-enter Canada without prior authorization;
  • Must leave Canada at the end of your authorized period of stay.