Applying at a Consulate

Applying for Criminal Rehabilitation at a Canadian consulate will prove to be somewhat troublesome without the help of an immigration lawyer. The Canadian consulate in New York and in Los Angeles are the two consulates that process Visa-related applications. However, the New York consulate is the only one that processes Criminal Rehabilitation applications. Applying at consulates may have its benefits, since the reviewing officers will most likely be knowledgeable and experienced. If you feel confident in the submitted documents, then you may have more chances of having your application approved since the officer will not be confused by any of the submitted documents. Even so, the outcome of your application is always discretionary to the reviewing officer. Applying at a consulate is the only option for those applying for Criminal Rehabilitation, therefore it is important to know the steps for applying at a consulate.


When Do I Apply for Criminal Rehabilitation?

To apply for Criminal Rehabilitation 5 years must have passed since the completion of your sentence(s). If less than 5 years have passed since the completion of your sentence, you are ineligible. For more information on being eligible for Criminal Rehabilitation, refer to our page on Criminal Rehabilitation ( If you are eligible for Criminal Rehabilitation, the next step is applying.


What Do I Need to Apply at a Consulate?

The only way to apply for Criminal rehabilitation is by sending the application to one of the two consulates that process Visa applications. To apply for Criminal Rehabilitation at a consulate, you will need the following documents and statements:

  1. An application form for Criminal Rehabilitation. The application form will require two written statements from the applicant. The first statement is a statement concerning the circumstances of your offence(s). This statement is meant to give the applicant the chance to explain the events leading up to the offence(s) they have committed. It is important for the applicant to show remorse and responsibility in the telling of their acts. If the reviewing officer feels that the applicant does not care about the consequences of their acts, they will not believe the applicant’s claim of rehabilitation. The second statement is a statement concerning the applicant’s rehabilitation. The reviewing officer wants to see how the applicant rehabilitated themselves into suitable and appropriate conduct in society. It is the applicant’s chance to persuade the officer of their good behaviour. It is advised for the applicant to mention any community involvement, social clubs or any other social activities, and stability at their job.
  2. A copy of the applicant’s passport.
  3. Letters of Reference. It is advised to have friends and/or colleagues who have known you for a long time to write a letter of reference. A friend who has known the applicant for a long time will have a legitimate understanding of the person. The reviewing officer also looks favorably upon letters of reference from the applicant’s employer.
  4. Court Documents for each of your offences on your record. The most important court documents are those that clearly demonstrate the applicant’s completion of their sentence. If the reviewing officer is not sure whether the applicant completed their sentence, they will not approve their application.
  5. FBI Criminal History Report. This report is the criminal record that the reviewing officer will rely the most on. Often, a charge may appear on the FBI report that may not be present on the state clearances, or vice-versa.
  6. State Police Clearances. These are police reports, and the applicant is required to provide one from every state in which the applicant has lived in ever since they turned 18 years old. This is required for TRP’s being processed at a consulate as well. As mentioned above, sometimes a charge may be present on the state clearance while not being on the FBI report, which is why they want both.


Once all of these documents have been procured, and that the application form has been filled out, the application is ready to be sent.


Where Do I Send My Application?

As mentioned earlier, two Canadian consulates review applications: the New York Canadian consulate and the Los Angeles Canadian consulate. Nonetheless, the former reviews Criminal Rehabilitation applications, while the latter reviews TRP applications. The contact information for both consulates can be found below:


Canadian Consulate in New York:

1251 6th Ave, New York, NY 10020, USA

+1 212-596-1628

Open Monday-Friday: 9am-12am, 1pm-3pm

Criminal Rehabilitation


Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles:

550 S Hope St, Los Angeles, CA 90071, USA

+1 213-346-2700

Open Monday-Friday: 8:30am-4:30am

Temporary Resident Permit


For other information on Canadian Visa services for the US, refer to the following link:


Why Hire an Immigration Lawyer

The application process is extensive and procuring the necessary documents is not simple. An immigration lawyer will review the court documents and help you determine whether your procured documents will prove to be satisfactory or if you need more court documents. The expertise of an immigration lawyer will guide you in the completion of the application. They will guide you in drafting good statements, as well as advise you in the ways to persuade the reviewing officer. A good lawyer will not guarantee the success of an application, but they will guarantee the submission of a complete application. Most importantly, hiring an immigration lawyer will give the applicant peace of mind.