Applying at a Consulate

File:Canadian embassy in The Hague.jpg

There are two ways to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit to overcome criminal inadmissibility to Canada. You could either apply at a Port of Entry or at a Canadian Consulate. Applying for a TRP at a consulate is generally seen as the safer option. However, following this method takes much longer; processing times for consulate TRP applications average around four to six months.


What are the steps to take to apply for a TRP at a Canadian consulate? The first thing to do is to make sure that your passport is valid beyond your planned period of stay in Canada. A consulate application will require you to give firm dates for your trip to Canada and you must have a valid travel document in order to leave the country. The next step would be to gather all supporting documents required for the application. These documents include:


  • A signed TRP application
  • A copy of the data page of your valid passport
  • 2 passport photos to attach to your permit should it be approved
  • A signed personal statement about the reason for your planned trip to Canada
    • If your trip is related to your job, you should include a letter from your employer as well
  • Any supporting documentation regarding your trip (i.e. hotel reservations, flight confirmations, correspondence, etc.)
  • Another signed personal statement discussing the circumstances of your offence(s)
  • Three reference letters
  • Copies of any court documents relating to your offence(s)
  • An FBI Criminal History Report
  • State police Criminal History Reports from any states in which you lived for 6 months or more since you were 18, as well as from the state where the offence was committed.


Once you have all the documents prepared, you’ll need to send them off to the consulate along with a $200 CAD processing fee. In the United States, TRP applications must be sent to the Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles.


Why should you consider applying for a TRP through a consulate? As stated above, applying through the consulate is less risky than applying at a port of entry. If your planned trip is not immediate (i.e. not within the average processing times) then you should definitely consider applying at the consulate. This could save you a major headache of being denied entry and having your TRP application denied at the border. Another benefit of applying through a consulate is that officials there normally grant TRPs with longer periods of validity.


If you do decide to file a TRP application at a consulate then an immigration lawyer could be of significant benefit to you. A lawyer at a Canadian firm like FWCanada can provide you with thorough checklist of all documents and information you need to include in your application. Keep in mind that the officials at the consulate are going to be more strict about the documentation in your application then border agents would be. Therefore, hiring a lawyer to handle your case will ensure that your application will meet the criteria that the consulate requires. Lawyers can give you advice and guidance on your personal statements and help you tailor your application to make sure it has the best chance of being approved. An immigration lawyer can even save you the hassle of mailing your application by doing it themselves.


Our immigration law firm, FWCanada, helps a significant amount of criminally inadmissible visitors apply for Temporary Resident Permits and Criminal Rehabilitation each month. we are extremely knowledgeable about the current Canadian TRP and CR application procedures at any given moment. Use the following form for a free assessment of your inadmissibility!