Am I Eligible?

Image result for rehabilitation

Temporary Resident Permit Eligibility Checklist:

If you have a valid reason to travel to Canada, but you are criminally inadmissible, you may be eligible to qualify for a Temporary Resident Permit. Note that If you are criminally inadmissible to Canada, you are inadmissible to work, study, or visit inside the Canadian borders. You are also prohibited from submitting an application for Canadian permanent residence. In other words, a Temporary Resident Permit can only be used for “valid entry” to Canada as a foreign worker, foreign student or as a visitor, but not for any permanent residency processes.

Valid reasons for entry may include:

  • travel for work
  • family vacation
  • attendance of a family wedding.

In order to be eligible to apply for a Canadian Temporary Resident Permit, you must have been convicted of a criminal offence AND:

  • have had less than five years pass since the completion of the sentence (including jail time, community service hours, probation and fee payment), OR
  • have had more than five years pass since the completion of the sentence, and you have not applied for, or have yet to received a decision on an application for criminal rehabilitation.

In summary, if you are an individual who is otherwise inadmissible to Canada, you may apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, regardless of how much time has passed since the offence was committed. Once the inadmissibility has been resolved through record suspension or criminal rehabilitation, a permit is no longer necessary.

If you are curious about whether or not you are a viable candidate for a Canadian Temporary Resident Permit, check out our free online assessment form. For further questions do not hesitate to contact us, here.

For information on how we at FWCanada can assist you with your application for a Canadian TRP, please fill out our free online assessment form.